SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rocks in the SF Bay
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchallenger View Post
Upon approach to the SF Bay, large ships are required to meet a pilot ship at the vicinity of the lightbucket or 'SF' buoy, about 16 nm from shore. A local pilot is then transported aboard and is responsible for piloting through the local waters. They must then stay in *very* clearly marked deep water channels while transiting the bay. However, this is not always foolproof, and not always because of dangers lurking beneath the surface. For example, apparently rocks were not the problem for this particular pilot.
Not exactly sure what you are trying to say here. However, If you are trying to reassure me, it's not working! I already cited the COSCO Busan incident. If Pilots can hit bridges, they can surly hit submerged rocks. Obviously, the bridge isn't going anywhere, though there are options with the rocks. As far as I can tell, the rocks in question ARE IN the "clearly marked channel". See the link in the OP.
I'd add that blowing up a few rocks in the SF Bay would be a ridiculous charade given that much of the bay is far too shallow to accommodate a large vessel. That is why there are deep water channels. It's like suggesting you cut down many of the trees close to the edge of a large throroughfare; the problem isn't the forest, it's keeping the cars on the road.
Again, look at the chart that is linked. It appears to me that two rocks are in the Westbound channel (Northwest of Alcatraz). As I also noted, some of the rocks have already been blown up to bring them to their current elevation. So somebody was concerned, and didn't think it was a "charade"! The question is, are they in the channel, and if so, is the MLW depth in the mid 30's deep enough? Or at least, should they be marked with Nav aids?

Last edited by L124C; 02-01-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook