SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue water cruiser - Walkabout questions
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
If you ask 10 people what is a good blue water cruiser you will get 20 answers.

Unless you were really going for the low end market, why not use cross grain balsa? Or honeycomb?

If I was to lay down cash for a new boat, I would look for self righting; a domed cabin, opposite the curvature of the hull, would make the boat very unstable upside down.

Obviously the full keels of yesteryear are history, but while the narrow fin keels are cheaper faster and more popular these days, a compromise of a keel integreated into the hull for solidity, but with a more modern shape for maneuverability, but with a lot of weight low for stability. (recently a production cruiser caspsized and didn't self right, exactly the reputation you don't want).

It's hard to put into words the feeling of "yes my boat, may never break the COLREGS line, but it's not the boat, but ties to land that's keeping me from sailing on to China if I wanted to". It's more of a symbol of freedom, the ability to go anywhere, coupled with ego "my boat is capable of crossing an ocean".

If you can capture the essense of this feeling without compromising performance or safety you will take over the market.

As has been pointed out any boat can be rolled even in a bay, if a bad wave hits it wrong, boats get knocked down in sudden storms less than 1/4 mile from the marina where I sail.

If you can build a boat that can take a knockdown, or self right after a capsize without losing the rigging, or flooding the cabin, with tried and true "blue water features, like lee cloths, well secured, self locking doors, and cabinets, so the dishes and knives dont fly around during a storm, and a solid enough hull, and keel that you can take a grounding, or a collision without falling apart like confetti, you rightly call it, (at least in my book), a production blue water.

I often wondered why don't new boats have a one piece hatch board made of lexan, that recesses into the hull with a teflon sliding seal, and a bidirectional locking pin.

Dorade boxes that have a plastic spring loaded float so they stop water when inverted.

Built in solar panels, (not a lot, too expensive, just a couple), for fans, and battery charging.

A modern electrical system, with a fault warning panel, (used to be big bucks, now in the semiconductor age, pennies to build in).

LED's.

Built in 12v appliances.

An idea, I don't know how practical, is to mold dinghy into removable cockpit. Locked in place the cockpit is the dinghy storage for a crossing, (now you don't have to worry where to put it). After you get to destination, unlock and launch it off the back. Leaving an empty open space like the back of a pickup, except round. (Yes your dinghy will look a lot like the tail end of a sailboat).

Don't worry about it being stolen, no one is going to go after something that ugly, besides they have to figure out the locking mechanism, ... in the dark. The dinghy outboard, is also your backup propulsion in case the diesel dies....Just an idea

Last edited by CapnBilll; 02-01-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook