SailNet Community - View Single Post - Connect two different sized wire together?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Tested crimping tool

Ok once again I was mistaken. The wires we need to use are #6 not #8

We did some testing with our Harbor Freight hydraulic crimping tool. We first bought it for one job. That was to crimp 2/0 cables from our windlass to batteries after we did a refit of the cables. We had to use the 00 dies in the tool to make that crimp. So we figured the dies would be different for the #6 cables but now we think not.

The wires #6 red\black

OK the stripping was not so great as I busted some strands but we did not have much to work with on that tool.

We tried the #6 dies in the tool and the crimp looks real good and it can not be torn apart, at least by me. We tried the #8 dies but it crimp looks too flat (right).

We used #6 cable and #6 butt connectors.

We also tried two #10 wires together into one # 6 but connector and they fit real nice. We did not do a crimp, seemed a waste of a connector.

We also tried a #10 wire bent over in two and it fit real nice in the #6 butt connector.
We will need to wire the green (ground) and white (neutral) wires together at the Air Breeze so that was one test.
We will need to wire a #10 black wire from the Air Breeze wind generator to the #6 black to battery negative so that was another test.

We also need to wire in a switch and a 5/16 battery eye to fuse terminal.
Need to purchase more # 6 terminal ends and some heat shrink with glue.
So it looks like this all works out. Now to do the job!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook