SailNet Community - View Single Post - Connect two different sized wire together?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Tool

OK, yes I had read some reviews about the Harbor Freight tool and die sizes. It does do a nice crimp and on a 2/0 size was the only one we could really afford. As we use it rarely and it does a nice crimp it seems OK.
I do release that our anchor windlass is a critical system and checked the crimp out and it was great.
This die says 8 AWG and that would mean electrical wire would it not, or is cable sized the same?

The Air Breeze is not critical and this crimp is solid. It beats hitting it with a hammer and the tools shown do not seem to go up in size to #6.
We usually order our cables from GenuineDealz.com - Marine Electrical, Boat Wire & Cable, Custom Battery Cables and have them do the crimp. In this case we cannot have them do the crimping.

I will hate it if the anchor windlass crimp fails for some reason. We will keep an eye on it. We have a few crimps to make on our solar controller as the cables #4 need to be cut for a fuse and a fuse block.
That should be the end of the crimping we need to do. We were not planning on taking this tool cruising, 9 moths from now. May re-think that or get another one?
Whay would these crimps fail?
Thanks
Chip

Last edited by SanDiegoChip; 02-01-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook