SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rocks in the SF Bay
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
35ft is a relatively shallow shipping channel.
The rocks are in the mid 30's, not the channel.
Panamax vessels fully loaded draft close to 40ft. The Delaware shipping channel is being dredged an additional 5ft to produce 45ft at low tide for newer Panamax vessels.

The Very Large Crude Carriers and Ultra Large Crude Carriers draft even more, but are usually lightered in deep water to barges.
It's my impression and observation that the big tankers are not allowed in the SF Bay. Smaller (relitively) shuttle tankers receive the oil offshore. I see them sitting in the South Bay, waiting to unload in Richmond. I assume they would be empty going through the Westbound lane. However the COSCO was not a tanker. The fuel it spilled was it's own, which apparently is even worse than crude oil.

Just had a look at SF Bay charts the shipping lanes appear to be all in 60ft + water.
Thats true. Though, once again, it appears to me that the two rocks in question are also in the "Westbound San Francisco Traffic Lane" which is 60+, with the exception of the rocks. Thats a big exception if they are hit! Please correct me if I'm missing something. Otherwise, I hope they keep missing something!

Last edited by L124C; 02-01-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook