SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Cod Marlin 23' refit
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012

rjohnson is on a distinguished road
There used to be a Cutter-rigged Marlin daysailer in Wareham on the mooring next to ours when we had our CAL 21. I think she was a 1960 model, when the owner bought her she had one of those ugly lifting outboard brackets that placed the raised outboard up to the point that it looked ot be floating in mid-air. That bracket on "Starry Night" looks good in comparison. Later they installed an outboard well at the aft end of the cockpit, offset to one side to clear the keel and rudder.
She left Wareham about a year or so before we sold our CAL, I think CCSB brokered her sale, her name was "TANGLE" in those days. Now, with a new name she is for sale again, I think she is up in Maine, although CCSB has her listed again, $8,000.

The last new MARLIN to leave CCSB was in 2007 I believe, and I think her owner's wallet was probably about $100K lighter when he left Wareham! Home port is out West, Colorado if I recall?
The next new MARLIN will be more of a competition to the Bridges Point 24, CCSB has designed a new deck mold that is more tradional, looking more like a Herreshoff MARLIN, rather than the "upside down bathtub" design of the fiberglass MARLIN Cruiser.
Someone mentioned the ungelcoated areas of the deck on old MARLINs, CCSB did that on a lot of their cabin boats in the 1950-60s, it served as a sort-of "skylight" letting light in through the laminate without making holes for ports. I think I would have varnished those areas if I wanted to preserve the translusency. Painted over it if installing deadlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5V55O65R53n53m13l2bbce010bb3f2a03187a.jpg (6.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 5W35X05S33n83m53l2bbca957a3eb6bfc140d.jpg (6.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Tangle_pic.JPG (80.9 KB, 10 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon

Last edited by rjohnson; 02-01-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added picture of TANGLE
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook