SailNet Community - View Single Post - Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012

INMA is on a distinguished road
I live in Australia where we have long distances between waterways so there is a healthy trailerable yacht market here.

Google Nolex 30, Robb Leg 28 or Farr B30 to look at some maxi trailerables.

I had a Southcoast Magnum 850 which is also a lot of yacht to drag around on the roads.

Note the three yachts above have fractional rigs which I believe are more suited to the lighter displacement trailerable rigs. Masthead rigs are inefficient and are a negative for a modern small yacht.

Americans have some great trailerables, the Hobbi 36 and Macgregor 36 come to mind as great sailboats although they are getting old.

Some may disagree but the Macgregor 26 power yachts have a place where sailors want to road and cruise with reasonable mobility. I have sailed on one and for most cruising situations it does the job.

I now have a Rob Legg 24 which weights in at about 800kg and suits my desire to move easily in a yacht that is efficient. My bottom line is I can easily tow rig launch and sail my yacht. I don't have to worry about crew, it takes me everywhere I want to go and my wife is happy with the destinations.

The RL24 accommodation is small, its a bit like living under a kitchen table, but we don't care. The cockpit is comfortable, between the boom tent and the bimini we are well protected and the drop keel and rudder let us get into places keel boats can only dream about.

Google Hill Inlet in the Whitsundays, that is one of my favourite destinations. Last trip to the Whitsundays we spent over 4 weeks cruising, most years we go to Paynesville, Gippsland Lakes which is truly trailer yacht heaven.

I appreciate the desire to go bigger and sail longer ocean passages, in my case I went smaller and am busy doing all the protected waters I can reach with my trailer in tow. The furthest I have travelled to sail was about 3000km North at Burdekin Dam (the weather on the coast sucked so we kept driving North and went inland).

Sailing is about attitude. If you think you need bigger to be happier then you need to rethink your attitude.

Last edited by INMA; 02-01-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook