SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rocks in the SF Bay
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Harding Rock, Shag Rocks and Arch Rock northwest of Alcatraz. They are charted with plenty of deep water around them. A pilot would have to be asleep to hit them.

Many shipping lanes have hazards and most are on the charts it is the responsibility of the pilot, captain or recreational boat skipper to be aware of charted hazards and plan a safe route.
I know they are charted. I provided the chart in my OP!
Funny you should mention sleep. The Pilot of the Cosco Busan suffered Sleep Apnia (sp?), and was on medication that wouldn't allow him to drive a car, much less a cargo ship (did prison time). Given human nature*, it seems prudent to eliminate submerged hazards, or at least mark them with nav aids when you can. It is certainly the "responsibility" of the Skipper to avoid them, however, the environment, wildlife and passengers pay the price when he is a bonehead! A surprising number, in command of huge ships have proved to be just that!
*In the Case of the Busan, The Pilot, Skipper, Vessel Control, Caltrans and the Coast Guard were all found at fault!

Last edited by L124C; 02-02-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook