SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA-105 to USCG 6-pack
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012

bobdamiano is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. I actually ordered the rule card yesterday. The next two or three classes are just doing practice chart-plotting problems (which I've already done on my own). The Rules part starts after that. I will study/practice/cram/ etc etc!

One technical question - what's your opinion on Correcting Deviation of a bearing taken with a hand-bearing compass? The USCG class teaches that you correct it using the *Ship's compass's* deviation table. I guess the idea is that whatever local magnetism affects the ship's compass will at least *similarly affect the h/b compass. Seems like a stretch to me.

In ASA, we were taught that since you really can't know the h/b's deviation, you ignore it. In fact there were test questions where some LOP bearings were shot with the ship's compass and some were shot with a h/b. The idea was that you would TVMDC the ship's compass but only TVM the h/b. The USCG class test questions assume you will TVMDC all bearings no matter if shot from the ship's compass or a hand bearing. I tend to agree with ASA on this one but I'll play by CG rules for this test. Any thoughts on this difference of opinion?

-Bob