SailNet Community - View Single Post - Little Ericsons, big problems?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I looked at an Erickson 27 several years ago in Baltimore Inner Harbor's City Dock Marina that was a derelict procured by Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Living Classroom's Foundation. It cannot recall which model it was, but I was really impressed by the amount of interior room. The headroom was at least 6'-4", the boat was beamy, wide open inside, but the cockpit was relatively large. Ironically, the boat was sold an hour before my arrival. It was powered with an Atomic-4, which looked and ran like the engine was brand new. It had a large sail inventory, roller furling, it needed some elbow grease to remove years of accumulated grime, but it was in pretty good condition considering its age. The boat sold for $2,000. A couple days later I purchased a 1968, 27 Catalina with an Atomic-4, 5 sails, in better shape, for the same amount of money.

You can find bargains like these all over the world, but you'll have to do some searching at the various marinas to find them. As for the Erickson, the guy that purchased it sails nearly every day of the season, even when the weather has been nasty and he says the boat handles very well, and it even does a decent job in light winds.

Good Luck,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook