SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for advise..
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012

Yucatancruiser is on a distinguished road
Crossing from Key West to Isla mujeres

I have done that exact crossing a few times. Once on a larger boat also with outboard engines and 2 other times on a motor yacht. The trouble you have is that a 26 ft boat usually does not hold the amount of gasoline that you need to do the 350 mile run. You can stop in Cabo San Antonio, Cuba, but the last 3 people i have spoken that stopped there, said there was no fuel, so it is not an option. You can try drums of gas, but is very dangerous and also the coast guard in the US will not like it if they stop you. Your best bet is to have the boat trailered to Panama City Fl, and put on Linea Peninsular on one of the weakly ships to Progreso. The shipping will cost you around 3,000 dollars, and you will have your trailer with you. But any ways the crossing is not that hard, the currents and waves are the worse once you clear the coast of Cuba and enter the actual Yucatan channel, and that is the last 90 miles. For weather on the area i recommend you look at Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather also for some more info on cruising the area, particularly on that boat, look at www.yucatancruising.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook