SailNet Community - View Single Post - Block Island - Champlin's Marina Showers
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I've stayed at Champlins, on town moorings, private moorings and anchored out.
They all have their plusses and minuses. Champlins like all the other options can get crazy during peak season. It is what it is. I know what to expect if I stay there and have always been treated well. ( have received the respect, that I have given. )

If I've had a long day (s) of sailing, I'll sometimes stay at Champlins upon arrival to Block, so the crew can relax, get showers, I can take on water etc, charge batteries, and use their bb-ques, and pool etc. @ $4.25 per ft it gets expensive. Early the next morning, I'll head out in the dinghy to try to obtain a less expensive town mooring, failing that, you can call the harbormaster and obtain a private mooring, or anchor out for free.

As an alternative, there are pay showers at Fred Benson town beach an easy walk along corn neck road.

Like them or not Champlins is a private business, using services that are provided for their guests is basically " theft " of services. We can rationalize it anyway we want it doesn't change the reality. Condemning them for protecting their private property rights and the rights of their guests to not have to wait in line for a shower behind all the freebies seems a little disingenous. There's also no confusion that " guest" means someone who pays for a slip or " raft up" as often occurs there, not someone who runs up a bar tab. Anyone that owns or runs a business, especially a service business, can relate to the various rationalizations that people give for thinking that they're entitled to more than they've paid for. For those that might take exception to this, I will simply say, that it's not personal..it's business. Sometimes, it's better to ask permission than have to ask forgiveness.

@ 4.25 per foot, roughly $150.00 a night.

Last edited by Tempest; 02-03-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook