SailNet Community - View Single Post - Block Island - Champlin's Marina Showers
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012
S/V Antares

rwy36 is on a distinguished road
Tempest,

Although I think you are technically correct, Champlin's view regarding 'theft of services' seems to have changed a bit after their proposal for expansion was denied after a lengthy and I'm sure very expensive legal battle. The story I related at the beginning of the thread regarding my 'theft of services' experience was back in the day when Champlin's provided the Freedom Launch which brought you to and from your boat in the anchorage to their facility. On this particular weekday afternoon, we visited the bar up by the pool area, and as I recall, even asked the bartender if it was OK if we grabbed showers while enjoying a cocktail or two. No lines, no impact, no hassle - and Champlin's was kind enough to even save us the dinghy ride! At this point, unless I was pursuing donuts, as far as I was concerned, Champlin's was the only marina in the harbor.

Now, though, things seem to be different with them. No more Freedom launch (I think it runs now at a charge, but no more 'freebies' at all). No more 'liberal interpretations' of policy for customers of all types, 'guests' now has a strict interpretation judging from Rob's unfortunate experience. I also related a more recent negative experience at the fuel dock which was pretty unusual by any professional standard, in my view. Nowadays, it's all strictly pay as you go - and apparently we weren't paying enough. Considering the legal bills they are probably looking at, I can't say that I blame them - but I think it could possibly be counterproductive over the long haul.

Take care,

Bill

Last edited by rwy36; 02-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook