SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flare-guns and other alternatives (excluding guns) as weapons
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
I thought that we were talking about the marine emergency flares? Shooting the red ones in a non emergency or without prior approval is forbidden. All I know about aerial fireworks is that they too, are forbidden to the general public in California. If we can keep to marine pyrotechnical devices, then I can contribute. Roman candles and such is not my area of expertise (although I used to hold a Class A Explosives License back in my mining days). To be specific, Marine Emergency Flares and their launchers are forbidden in the cabin of the aircraft, but are allowed to be carried in checked baggage. The reason for the ATF regulation that the launchers must be painted orange or a combination of orange and white is to distinguish them from a “real” hand gun. Good to know about Sea Tac and LaGuardia TSA not being up on their own regulations concerning inflatable life vests. You can add the clowns at LAX International terminal to your list. I have had no problem with my vest as carry-on at SFO, San Jose, Honolulu, San Diego, Cabo, PV, St. George, Madrid, and Las Palmas. Flares go in checked baggage and I do carry a copy of the TSA regs when I travel just in case.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook