SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flare-guns and other alternatives (excluding guns) as weapons
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Outbound, I like to take my vest in carry-on as it has a larger (and not to common) cartridge and I’m usually flying out just in time to meet the boat and I just don’t want to risk not having my vest. I know other guys who have been forced to buy vests several times as they couldn’t get the cartridge they needed. The airlines I’ve flown never have checked carry on as I suspect they are really relying on TSA screening. The issue with checked baggage is several years ago a plane was carrying several (undeclared) cylinders of medical gas and one of them exploded at altitude. That incident had the airlines tightening up on their restrictions and why in the old days it was safer to declare the vest at the ticket agent. I “lost” a cartridge once doing that. The funny thing in all of this is my vest is made by the world’s leading manufacturer of airline life vests, rafts and escape chutes. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook