SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012
Ali Baba

Alibaba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
[ while many, many, other boats in our marina STAY in our marina. A better boat that goes unsailed is an ineffective boat.
Just like the spork, a Mac is effective, if not perfect.
Good pooint..[When I was at a large Marina in Erie Pa. i couldnt help but notice that most of the large expensive Sailboats and motor baots never moved from thier dock..

It was amazig that with about 500 boats in the marinna, only 3 toilets and 3 shower stalls, 3 proopane grills, I never watied more than a few minutes to use them.. After labor day wekend until the end of October ( Best sailing) I barely saw any one at the docks..

This has nothing to do with Macgregor Sailoboats. many of the Mac 26`s docked at other Marina`s usually sat Idle like the other Sailboats and motorbopats. I was a serious boater. when I got to the Marina, I would untie the boat and go out into the lake no matter what the weather..

One of the reason I would use my boat more than others is that I didnt have antifouling paint. I would make a point to take the boat to the beach or shallow sandbar to jump into the water and wipe of the slime before it got out of controll.. I did notice my 26X Sailed and motored much better with a clean bottom. amazed that I had beat a Catralina 30 n a 20 mile cruise to New York, I found that the Cat-30 had sat for over 45 dys in dock and grown about 1/2' Alge on its hull. I lent the guy my Long handle brush and actually helped him clean off most of the scum.. He beat me bak to Erie pa.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook