SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cuba in my sights

21K views 123 replies 44 participants last post by  canucksailorguy 
#1 ·
If I wanted to make a stop in Cuba while on a cruise how hard would it be?
I would like to see the island but I am not sure if all the hoops you jump through are worth it.
Anyone ever stopped there for any length of time?:D

#4 ·
To me, the idea of going to Cuba is crazy for an American Citizen, but you do what you want. If I were to go, I would probably punch out of the Tortugas and head south where is is like 60 miles - but should be an easy day-sail though you have to cross the stream. Still, from the Tortugas you can choose your timing to go.

That being said, the getting back in might be tricky. We have had a sharp increase in US CUstoms and Border Patrol here in SW Florida. I have seen them sitting right at the mouth of Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach. There are people that have done it, but I won't - for more reasons than just our US Govt but I won't go there this morning.

Brian

#5 ·
To me, the idea of going to Cuba is crazy for an American Citizen, but you do what you want. If I were to go, I would probably punch out of the Tortugas and head south where is is like 60 miles - but should be an easy day-sail though you have to cross the stream. Still, from the Tortugas you can choose your timing to go.

That being said, the getting back in might be tricky. We have had a sharp increase in US CUstoms and Border Patrol here in SW Florida. I have seen them sitting right at the mouth of Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach. There are people that have done it, but I won't - for more reasons than just our US Govt but I won't go there this morning.

Brian
That's my point though. Castro is no longer in power and I hear the island is beautiful.
So why are we still clinging to a foreign policy so out dated. If we went there our capitalistic ways would take over.
Anyway I know people who have been there but never left the marina. i just want to know how to see the islands interior.

#6 ·
Regardless whether you agree with the laws, they are the laws and the penalties are stiff (take you boat from you). I don't agree with teh seat belt law or the helmet law, but I have to comply. That is a different discussion.

I have never been there. If you are from St Pete, they used to do the St Pete - Havana race there (and still sign up for it every year, just don't get the permit so it gets cancelled). See if you can get some info from them. Try googling the race and reach out to them since they are local to you.

I suspect that there are many people here (Americans) that have been to Cuba. But you might be pressed getting any of them to talk about it online, for obvious reasons. I would carefully research the project and really evaluate my risk factor beforfe proceeding down there. It ain't the going there that will be hard. It will be the getting back in and not getting caught.

Brian

#7 · (Edited)
Whiskey,

I understand your desire, and hope you don't take this the wrong way.

I'm probably one of the few folks around here who has first-hand, on-the-ground experience of living in Cuba. And yes, I'm a US passport holder.

First, you will drive yourself crazy trying to apply reason as an argument relating to the US-Cuba political relationship. It's a very emotional subject on both sides, and pragmatism rarely prevails in discussions. Just accept things that you cannot change, while keeping your hope alive that policies can and will change. (For the record, I'm not advocating radical change or full repeal of the current policies -- they will almost certainly evolve at their own pace.)

Second, don't take the glowing reviews of Cuba as a cruising Mecca at full face value. The people of Cuba are warm, friendly, and for the most part great folks. Yes the waters are beautiful. Scuba diving, particularly on the southern coast, is great. However, keep in mind that Cuba remains a very bureaucratic and fairly strictly regulated state particularly in regards to foreigners. Many of the vacation resorts catering to foreign tourists, which is a very important source of hard currency income for the government of Cuba, are closed "communities" that keep tourists in and locals (other that the staff) out. This is intentional. The Cuban government maintains its grip on power, but remains cognizant of what Glastnost did to the Soviet Union.

Third, maritime facilities are somewhat spartan and in less than tip-top condition. The Coast Guard and maritime Border Patrol organizations have in some instances proven themselves to be less than friendly, less than helpful, and in some instances complicit in screwing cruisers -- and avenues for seeking redress or compensation for an American are very, very limited.

Fourth, you run a very significant risk of losing your vessel if US authorities determine that you have violated US travel restrictions. Is your desire to visit Cuba so strong that you're willing to take that risk?

In the long run, my guess is that sanctions will ease and travel will become possible. Until that day comes, I for one wouldn't even consider going there.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I hope you take this to heart.

Best,
PorFin

#8 ·
Whiskey,

I understand your desire, and hope you don't take this the wrong way.

I'm probably one of the few folks around here who has first-hand, on-the-ground experience of living in Cuba. And yes, I'm a US passport holder.

First, you will drive yourself crazy trying to apply reason as an argument relating to the US-Cuba political relationship. It's a very emotional subject on both sides, and pragmatism rarely prevails in discussions. Just accept things that you cannot change, while keeping your hope alive that policies can and will change. (For the record, I'm not advocating radical change or full repeal of the current policies -- they will almost certainly evolve at their own pace.)

Second, don't take the glowing reviews of Cuba as a cruising Mecca at full face value. The people of Cuba are warm, friendly, and for the most part great folks. Yes the waters are beautiful. Scuba diving, particularly on the southern coast, is great. However, keep in mind that Cuba remains a very bureaucratic and fairly strictly regulated state particularly in regards to foreigners. Many of the vacation resorts catering to foreign tourists, which is a very important source of hard currency income for the government of Cuba, are closed "communities" that keep tourists in and locals (other that the staff) out. This is intentional. The Cuban government maintains its grip on power, but remains cognizant of what Glastnost did to the Soviet Union.

Third, maritime facilities are somewhat spartan and in less than tip-top condition. The Coast Guard and maritime Border Patrol organizations have in some instances proven themselves to be less than friendly, less than helpful, and in some instances complicit in screwing cruisers -- and avenues for seeking redress or compensation for an American are very, very limited.

Fourth, you run a very significant risk of losing your vessel if US authorities determine that you have violated US travel restrictions. Is your desire to visit Cuba so strong that you're willing to take that risk?

In the long run, my guess is that sanctions will ease and travel will become possible. Until that day comes, I for one wouldn't even consider going there.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I hope you take this to heart.

Best,
PorFin
That, PorFin, wzas one of the very best replies I have read on Sailnet in a long time.

Brian

#9 ·
Oh, and to your question about seeing the interior of the island -- could you do it? Maybe. You'd probably need to get Cuban government permission to do so, and would be under close supervision and "minded" very carefully. What could happen if you just went on your own without Cuban government permission? Detention, expulsion, and probable loss of your vessel to the Cuban government. Again, a fairly high risk endeavor.

#11 ·
Even for those of us who can legally travel to Cuba, the country can be a bureaucratic nightmare. A kid who works in the yard where we store our boat just spent almost 6 months detained in Cuba because of a minor car accident. Apparently, if a Cuban national is injured in an accident that a foreign national is involved in, the foreigner is detained, even if he is not at fault, until the case is resolved.

#14 ·
I had to go into Havana/Marina Hemmingway, 5 yrs ago, because of boat problems. American passports, boat and even a second gereration US/Cuban as mate.

They were delightful, did not stamp our passports because they knew it would cause problems with bozo George W.

A Cuban Coast Guard officer congratulated me on putting the boat on the customs dock under sail and got me a Cuban Navy mechanic within an hour.

The head official offered to get a government car to take the first mate to meet any members of his family still in Cuba.

US paranoia is misplaced and incorrect...but do take lots of $s in small denominations the credit cards do not work.

#19 · (Edited)
Yes, by all means, be patient and wait until it is perfectly safe, legal, and blessed by our totally free and suppressive government. That way you will certainly be assured of missing the real place. You know, high rise condos on every beach, just like Cancun, Cozumel, Belize, Americanized. If you plan to wait, just go to any of those places and see Cuba as it will be when we have their blessing.

It is, as I understand, not illegal to go to Cuba, only to spend US dollars there. I believe that there are several web sites, one connected to one of the KEYS sites, that goes into great detail on cruising to Cuba. If I can find it again I will post it here.

Sure there are risks, and after all, if we all here in the USA always obeyed all of the rules, to the letter, we would still be speaking the kings English. Someone here has a signature line which states that when all is said and done we will regret those things we did not do most of all, or words to that effect.

There are innovative ways to do it if you really want it. A few years ago the good old FEDS tried to prosecute the organizers of a race from south FL to Havana. The charges were dropped. Would have loved to have served on that jury.

#20 ·
You know, I just have to comment on this. I re-read the post several times and it kept saying the same thing: break the laws because you don't agree with them or because Cuba is pretty now and won't be later.

I simply cannot imagine any place on this planet that is worth me risking my boat, possible imprisonment, tens of thousands of dollars, and at the very least, a LOT of harrassment and aggravation from our government. And frankly, your strong suggestions of taking the law into your own hands and doing whatever you want because you don't agree with them strikes me as irresponsible.

If you want to risk your boat and well-being, that is up to you. I will tell you that, per several local cruisers in Marathon, the US Customs boats in Marathon are just itching to pull people over for coming in from the south. They consistently cruised all around us and our docks. I had another sailor in marathon tell me that the govt was flying a blimp or something to watch to see who was crossing from there. Do I beleive all of it? Well, what I saw certainly made me think twice.

I have heard the hear-say about jumping south to Mexico before coming home, not getting your passport stamped, or telling the US Government that you didn't spend a penny in Cuba because Castro is running an international kegger. I just cannot see that it is worth the risk and I would never encourage others to take the risk.

My opinions.

Brian

#22 ·
Well, it's one of the most beautiful, mystical places you'll ever see, for starters… Even in its advanced state of decay, Havana is a wondrous place, a magnificent architectural and cultural example of one of the great colonial outposts of the New World. Even today, it's easy to see how someone like Hemingway became enchanted with the place, and the sultriness and quality of the light to be found there is just the beginning of what is so special about Cuba…

Ever had the urge to travel back in time? A visit to Cuba is about as close as you'll get in today's world, it remains virtually unspoiled by the trappings of modernity you'll find throughout the rest of the Caribbean… Much of that will change in a heartbeat, of course, once the place becomes open to Americans, and it will quickly be on the road to becoming just like anywhere else Americans currently travel en masse...

Probably just me, but I think it's always healthy to be reminded how privileged we as Americans are, and what whiny bitches as a nation we have become… (grin) You won't receive a warmer, more genuine and generous welcome anywhere than from the Cuban people, they fully appreciate the risk an American takes traveling there, and are deeply appreciative of that fact, and the effort we've made to travel there… Despite the grimness of their lives, they are just a wonderful people, very well informed politically, eager to discuss their future prospects with Americans… I found it extremely rare to be treated as just another tourist "mark" in Cuba, as has become so commonplace in the rest of the Caribbean…

Then there's the colors, and the artwork… Very unique and distinctive, one of my most treasured paintings is from the artists flea market in Havana…

Of course, if you like cars, the whole damn place is a living museum… You'll be blown away by the ingenuity these people display, keeping their fleet running with the limited resources at their disposal...

Finally, there's the cruising itself… Fairly challenging, and if you want to get away from the hordes of kroozers infesting most of the rest of the Caribbean, this is the place. You'll likely be on your own in many places, I never saw another boat in the 5 days I spent in Baracoa, for example…

Make no mistake, cruising in Cuba can still be a frustrating experience in many respects, dealing with the bureaucracy gets VERY old, VERY quickly… But still, one of the most fascinating, rewarding, and educational cruising experiences I've ever had, I'm really glad I took the chance to go there when I did…

#23 · (Edited)
Thank you again JON. You truly have a unique way of sharing. Gorgeous photos too! Some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Part of my screen saver now. You are truly a lucky man JON.

CD, isn't it sad that you and many of us are so intimidated to this degree by our own government. As you say, they are waiting, like vultures to pounce on those attempting to exercise those things that a free society pretends to stand for and defend.

As sailors, those with a free spirit, we seem so easily to accept these affronts to freedom as matter of fact. No man is truly free while tethered by any government restrictions, especially as they relate to travel outside of war time.

We have no restrictions relating to China or Russia. We pick on only those that we can bully. A beautiful island with warm friendly people is certainly no threat to us.

LINK: bootkeyharbor.com - click on Cuba at the top of the page.

#25 ·
Thank you again JON. You truly have a unique way of sharing. Gorgeous photos too! Some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Part of my screen saver now. You are truly a lucky man JON.

CD, isn't it sad that you and many of us are so intimidated to this degree by our own government. As you say, they are waiting, like vultures to pounce on those attempting to exercise those things that a free society pretends to stand for and defend.

As sailors, those with a free spirit, we seem so easily to accept these affronts to freedom as matter of fact. No man is truly free while tethered by any government restrictions, especially as they relate to travel outside of war time.

We have no restrictions relating to China or Russia. We pick on only those that we can bully. A beautiful island with warm friendly people is certainly no threat to us.

LINK: bootkeyharbor.com - click on Cuba at the top of the page.
Thanks A lot for the link. I have bookmarked it.

#24 · (Edited)
I'm in south Florida and would like to visit Cuba but it isn't high on my list of places in the Caribbean. I suppose if your a bit salty and been everywhere from Venezuela to Bimini and every point in between then you'd want to go but if you really want to go then I'd say wait a couple years...recent Wiki-leaks posts show that many in the US State Dept. and other governments abroad feel Cuba is about to have a "Glasnost" moment..if you don't know what that is..look it up...

They are under a new ruler these days..as we know...Raul Castro...and he isn't that much younger than the old ruler...whom we all know too well...Wait awhiles more I says..go check out somewhere else cool..and be patient...I ain't been in the Caribbean much..just Florida for the better part of 25 years or so now but the Bahamas or Dominican and Puerto Rico alone would occupy me for years if I ever get to 'em in me boat...workin on it..

Good luck gettin' to old Cuba though..it might be worth it to wait a tad longer though..

.Afterall..we've waited 50 years for Cuba already in a lot of ways... Hell, New England waited almost a hundred for the Red Sox to win again...Go Rays!!

#26 ·
Thank you for the pics Jon. They are amazing and only make me want to go there more. I was wondering about coming at the island from the south by way of the Florida straights. Was wondering about your thoughts on the best way to make land there.

Cruising Dad
I understand what your saying and I can respect your point of view here. But as Leocat said and myself being a strict constitutionalist. What right does our Government have telling me not to go anywhere. If you want to put out a tourist warning fine by all means do it.
You say the risk isn't worth it or the costs are to great to do it.
Remember that was what they told the Colonists that fought England for the freedom we supposedly have. I'm tired of the oppression from my Government. A passport to get back to my home country if I take a cruise? Really? We better start waking up in this country before all our rights and freedoms are legislated away because of 17 Saudis and 2 Arabs.

I know there's a fine line between brave and crazy and maybe I am a little nuts. But if I want to travel the world and see things most never see then that is my right and privilege under the constitution and I take full reponsibility for my actions and circumstances when I get there.
Embargo be dammed! It hasn't worked anyway.

#42 ·
I'm tired of the oppression from my Government. A passport to get back to my home country if I take a cruise? Really?
I will not pass an opinion here as I am not a US citizen, but I do softly smile that you can come visit us in Canada with just picture ID (driver's licence) but you need a Passport to get back into your own country.

Ya gotta love politics!

Take care and enjoy where ever you cruise.

Rik

#27 ·
First,

Jon - Wonderful pictures. Wondreful writeup. Nothing political, just a outsiders view looking in. I really enjoyed the pics and thank you for sharing.

Leocat and W1651 (and any others),

Let me be clear about about my feelings: First, I never said I agreed with our governments decisions on that island. I can see why they did it 40 or 50 whatever years ago. I have watched and read documentary on it. The reality is that it did not and has not worked. Does not do any good to cast an embargo on the island if no one else does, especially your allies. That is true for any country, especially Cuba. But don't forget that the man that is REALLY still in charge there was going to put nuclear missles on that island and damn near started WWIII. In fact, it was probably the closest our world has ever come to a nuclear holocost. He is also nothing short of a tyrant. Being from South Florida and knowing many cubans, his very name brings disgust to most that I have spoken to. They have lost family members that have been imprisoned, pushed around and had all or most possessions taken on a whim, people dissaperaing in the middle of the night. The beauty of the landscape should not shrowd our eyes to the horrors of what has happened there (and still happens today). Let me show you one of my Cuban pictures:

This is only one of the boats that Cubans use and have used to escape the island. They load them up with men, women, and children and escape in the middle of the night hoping that fate plays their way and they make it past the gunboats and very rough waters that seperate our mainland. Many die on this trip. But ask yourself how, even today, a people would risk the lives of their very children/babies and everything they own on a risky chance of making landfall and touching US soil. There were three of these that they still had not dragged off of the Tortugas when I was there only a few months back. I snorkeled off of logerhead and found the pieces of another sunk just south of the lighthouse.

If anyone feels strongly about Cuba and the restrictions of our government, there are ways to deal with that. It involves reaching out to your local leaders and making a political stand to challenge its decisions. Write your congressman, show up on his doorstep, stage a demonstration, run for office. Work within the system to help orchestrate your beliefs. And while you do, remember that the very process by which you challenge your government here might get you shot or imprisoned in Cuba (if you could do it at all). That is the very feedom they lack and certianly one of the reasons they risk life and property and imprisonment to cross a very rough stretch of water and come to our country. And its funny, but I cannot remember the last time an American risked his life, his wife's, his childrens, and everything he owns to try and defect to Cuba. Our country ain't so bad.

My opinions.

Brian

#28 · (Edited)
When the Feds take a person to court they usually attempt to apply pressure in order to make a deal and secure a plea from the accused. That is apparently what happened when the race organizers were charged relating to the race to Havana a few years ago. Apparently the organizers refused to take a plea and were therefore set to go to trial.

Whenever a case goes to trial there is a chance that the defendant might be found not guilty. That would be quite a negative for the prosecution especially in a case such as that, and would set a precedence, therefore making it nearly impossible to proceed against anyone from that day forward on a similar case. Imagine the consequences to a ruling such as that. They would have to appeal it all the way to the Supreme Court and could loose, allowing all here to travel to Cuba freely without consequence. The FEDS never want that to happen, and therefore dropped the charges, as I understand, leaving the law intact. We need a test case, but probably will never get one..

They intimidate those that they can through scare tactics. This way they can continue to bully us, as most of us cannot afford to hire high priced attorneys.

Remember CD that the only information that we have about Cuba and its threat to us comes from our government. Our government tells lies too. I think for myself and research as best I can to learn the real truth, which typically falls somewhere in the middle. Many a treaty has been made with the American Indian. The US Government has never kept one!

This is certainly quite political, but it does affect all cruisers from the US also.

#29 ·
Well noted Brian. And I do understand where you are coming from. But as Leocat has stated it's our own allies not conforming to the embargo that makes it useless.
Not to mention all the cubans in Miami sending whirlpool washers and frigidaire freezers to their relatives via Mexico.
Gloria Esteffan even said when Castro dies she's moving back to Cuba. Ya ! Right!
Look the reason they come in those boats is it's only 90 miles away and all they have to do is touch ground here and they can stay. But that's another thread in another place.
Ya Cuba sucks to live in. I just want to visit and who the Heck is the US Gov to tell me I can't? It's bad enough I need a passport to come off a boat from a cruise.
You wanna talk Government totalitarianism we will have to change forums. The list in this country is long my friend.

#31 ·
I agree there is silliness in how the embargo is managed. However, Cuba is the closest government that not only could but actually has attempted to install WMDs for the explicit purpose of threatening the USA. It is so close, we would not be able to react in time to a launch. Americans would die.

The leadership of the government that made that attempt is still in power. You don't think they just changed their minds and removed the missiles out of the goodness of their hearts, do you? Then, when the Russians had little use for that strategic alliance any longer, they abandoned Cuba.

I'm sure we will all get past this one day, but not for a minute do I trust the current leadership in Cuba. They haven't threatened Europe, Mexico or Canada, which is why those countries haven't put a horse in this race.

#32 · (Edited)
I agree there is silliness in how the embargo is managed. However, Cuba is the closest government that not only could but actually has attempted to install WMDs for the explicit purpose of threatening the USA. It is so close, we would not be able to react in time to a launch. Americans would die.

The leadership of the government that made that attempt is still in power. You don't think they just changed their minds and removed the missiles out of the goodness of their hearts, do you? Then, when the Russians had little use for that strategic alliance any longer, they abandoned Cuba.

I'm sure we will all get past this one day, but not for a minute do I trust the current leadership in Cuba. They haven't threatened Europe, Mexico or Canada, which is why those countries haven't put a horse in this race.
Well Minnewaska you are correct, Cuba never threatened Europe, Canada, or Mexico. However, none of those countries ever attempted an invasion of Cuba, BAY OF PIGS comes to mind.

We have always approved of any dictator, in any country, as long as we controlled them. You are also correct in feeling that the Cuban government cannot be trusted, nor can ours.

#34 ·
This thread is rapidly turning into a political/historical debate. I would suggest people who have not been to Cuba by boat/do not have relevant information for w1651 about the procedures, precautions, and preparations to make for his potential voyage. I don't think the rightness and justification for the embargo and government positions should be addressed here, simply how, what, and when the author could go about this trip if he decides to. It comes down to a personal choice, and those who have already posted have made clear the benefits and shortcomings. Let's stop the politics now and offer relevant responses to the original question.
I personally know many cruisers who have gone to Cuba by boat and had a wonderful time, with no problems from the US government later on. I would say plan on taking additional time and don't cruise to only Cuba if you are able. There are many other places worth seeing, and it may be safer/easier to return from one of these places. Also consider taking a longer sail to re-enter the US in a more northern port such as Pensacola or New Orleans if you want to allay concerns raised about the Customs agents in ports such as Marathon, it is only a few days further to sail up the gulf and you can have an enjoyable sail back to St. Pete along the US coast.
Happy Sailing!

#35 ·
Since the OP's location says FL and they are asking about something that is specifically illegal for a US citizen to do, I don't think it is too far off the path to dabble in why that is the case.

The analogy, as infuriating as it may be, is this.

When you buy illegal drugs, your money is going directly to fund the drug cartels, which kill people everyday. When you travel to and spend money in Cuba, you are helping fund a government that has attempted to install missiles aimed at your family. By all indications, if we hadn't muscled them out, they would do it again.

I don't like that we haven't figured out a way to get past this and believe we have made some bad moves that exacerbated the situation. I suspect we could have negotiated our way through this, but with several attempts on Castro's life along the way, I doubt they are very interested in talking.

I will vote for someone that is willing to change the laws I don't agree with, but will abide by them until they do. You are free to make your own decisions, I'm not here to pick a fight. Just explaining the subtle highjacking.

#36 ·
I think what has been established is that it is not technically illegal to go, if I understood the previous posts correctly. I would caution anyone considering this trip to carefully read up on the government legislation and consult local officials for accurate, up-to-date information on the subject including the current government's level of enforcement and interpretation of clauses. Beyond that, godspeed and have a wonderful trip!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.