SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 24
Thread: Morgan 24
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
There is a lot that I can do once I have the boat home. I did fire up the engine an 8hp Johnson sailmaster and ran it for 30 minutes in a garbage can, shifted gears several times, idles fine on low speed, and ran toward the high side for 5 minutes in fresh water on fresh gas, used Penzoil marine 2 cycle which exceeds the standard. then burned the gas out of her. I also ran my old sailmaster 9.9 but it needs a tune up, I believe the fuel line needs to be cleaned out. The water pumped out was never more than luke warm. I also believe I will use 1/2 inch three stranded nylon rope for the halyards, that is what was used on my O'Day 21 except it was 3/8th inch and it has lasted 20 years - works for me and I can splice the loop myself to the thimble on the wire part of the halyard - beats the hell out of nearly $200 for fancy line from the west marine robbers, of course for the new boom sheet I wll need a smoother brade of nylon but again does not have to be the fancy expensive stuff. (I believe the fact that my halyards have lasted 20 years and worked fine on my old boat means outrageously expensive line from a bunch of highway robbers is not necessary and a huge waste of money. I also plan to visit the supplier for the local shrimping fleet to see what can be had - bet it may be lower priced than west marine or similar marine suppliers.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 02-05-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook