SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 24
Thread: Morgan 24
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, David, let me clarify. and I do get angry when prices are highly inflated, try having any work done after a hurricaine! I am not into racing, or anything like circumnavigation just day sailing or perhaps a little coastal cruising, used to dream of circumnavigating as a teenager. But, older and wiser I realize that even true professionals are taking a risk in the open ocean - I have respect for anything dangerous believe me. A 25 (24'11" in my case) foot sailboat is really relatively small. If a halyard fails the sail comes down, but that hasn't ever happened to me anyway. Besides the Halyard on my boat is only about 35' long, goes around a small wench and to a cleat. Anything going through blocks I plan on using a higher grade of nylon line. I am not talking about roll swagging (though I did imply that in my excitement above over the new tool in my arsenal), this tool, I gave the page number in the 2011 West Marine Catelogue, can give the part number as well works on the sizes of wire cable I need, and is used on things like the centerboard cable, or attaching wire to itself after fitting it around a thimble - using the lead fittings for this purpose. I am not going to compromise on critical things but will only use an expensive marine supply house when there is absolutely no way to avoid it - their prices are highly inflated In the case of this hand swagging tool 10 times! Competition is needed and Lowes does have some items that will work - treated lumber, stainless steel hardwear, I remember paying $6.00 for a clevis pin! which should have been .90 cents thats 6 times what it's worth! I have been sailing since I was in high school in the 1970's and have owned 8 boats over that time. Believe me if It has to be done by a west marine rigger then I suppose they have me over a barrel - I have no interest in the marine supply industry but I have common sense and good judgement. Competition is needed in this industry.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 02-05-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook