SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rocks in the SF Bay
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
It confirms that where there is a will, there is a way!
I certainly would not have guessed it would be that difficult. I would have thought they could have performed the work in increments, during various slack tides. Obviously...I'm wrong! It's also interesting that it took 119 vessels and 114 lives lost to develop the will.
Thanks for that!
Here is an original article regarding blowing up Blossom Rock. Unfortunately, because it is a copy of the original, published in 1870, it's a little difficult to read. However, I found it interesting in several respects.
BLOSSOM ROCK. - Description of the Rock and the Preparatory Work for Blasting it --A Charge of Twenty-three Tons of Powder--The Explosion. - View Article - NYTimes.com
Yes, very interesting, amazing they could do it that long ago. I would think that a barge with a drilling rig could pre drill a lot of deep holes that divers could fill at slack water with explosives. Or maybe a big dredge equipped with a large sharp cutting head could chew it away? As mentioned earlier probably nothing will be done until a big tanker gets a little off course and dumps millions of gallons of oil into the bay.

Dabnis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook