SailNet Community - View Single Post - Short term storage at random times?? Mooring/slip
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012

Dallas88 is on a distinguished road
Short term storage at random times?? Mooring/slip

I am probably buying an Islander 36 to live aboard in a few months. I am a welder that generally works 3 or 4 months out of the year on nuclear power plants and other than that I don't work.

When I'm off work I'll be cruising but when I have to go to work I'll need to do something with my boat. I was hoping to be "based" around Florida (I have to travel when I work so where I am "based" doesn't really matter all that much) but I've been looking at mooring/slip/storage costs online and the prices seem nuts!! 7 or 800 bucks a month or higher??

I for some reason thought I could get a slip somewhere for around $200 / month. The cheapest I have found is moorings for around $400. Am I missing something? I have found some less expensive hurricane deals by looking over posts here but my work schedule is random and doesn't really follow hurricane season.

So does anyone know a reasonably priced area around FL that I can call my base camp. It doesn't have to be nice or popular. I don't think I would actually spend that much time there. I will have to keep my tools and truck somewhere while I'm off being a cruiser. I was hoping to pick a little town or something where I can rent a little spot for my truck so when I have to go to work I can sail back there, store the boat, drive to where ever it is the job is at, work a couple months, go back to the boat and be a cruiser again! I originally thought I might rent a slip or something year round and just use it when I had to work but the prices have me thinking that it's not very cost effective.

I am hoping that I just haven't searched the right places.

Thanks,
Dallas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook