SailNet Community - View Single Post - Storm trysail question
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
A resurrection of the thread. Anyone have any idea what the loads would be on a storm trysail on my boat (36,000 lb)? I need to get a block for it and Garhauer have a 5000 lb, a 6000 lb and an 8500 lb (all SWL). I am thinking the 5000 should do it since the sheets with the trysail can't have a SWL of more than 3000 lb. Some of these blocks are incredibly large. The biggest one for a single block is 2 1/2 lb.

BTW, I don't think I can tie my boom out of the way on deck since it has a rigid vang. The boom is also very large and heavy. I can't imagine disconnecting the vang and lowering the boom in 40+ knots. The boat is clearly set up to have the trysail go to the boom and we have had a much reduced main up (probably similar or a bit smaller than the trysail in 55 knots and the strain did not seem too bad. The rig on the boat is very robust.