SailNet Community - View Single Post - Storm trysail question
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
killarney_sailor
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

A resurrection of the thread. Anyone have any idea what the loads would be on a storm trysail on my boat (36,000 lb)? I need to get a block for it and Garhauer have a 5000 lb, a 6000 lb and an 8500 lb (all SWL). I am thinking the 5000 should do it since the sheets with the trysail can't have a SWL of more than 3000 lb. Some of these blocks are incredibly large. The biggest one for a single block is 2 1/2 lb.

BTW, I don't think I can tie my boom out of the way on deck since it has a rigid vang. The boom is also very large and heavy. I can't imagine disconnecting the vang and lowering the boom in 40+ knots. The boat is clearly set up to have the trysail go to the boom and we have had a much reduced main up (probably similar or a bit smaller than the trysail in 55 knots and the strain did not seem too bad. The rig on the boat is very robust.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome