SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coastal crusing with occassional passage making :)
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
I agree with the other posters that not doing the ICW you will be missing a lot. But each to their own.

You didn't mention ground tackle. What are your plans here?

As a poor boy freeze dried foods are to costly for us. We do have a number of different package food that can be purchased from any grocery store. Can food can be easily stored in lockers under settee or quarter berth. I know because I have to live on Ensure and I have 60 day supply on board.

I agree that 2.5 gallon MSD is a little small for 2. You might get 3 day as long as you don't pee in it. Don't use the stored water. Use a jug and pour only what is needed to clean. We lay paper in the bowl then use a very small amount of water to flush. No mess to try to clean. RV paper works best.

You might be selling yourself short on the gas. We have a 6 and 3 marine gas tanks and carry 2 five gallon cans. We figure 15 miles per gallon and motor sail as much as possible in the ditch.

If I missed it what are you cooking with? We have a Magma and a 2 burner Coleman.

We are leaving the end of March in a Starwind 22. The two of us and one Yorkie dog. We will do the ditch because the Gulf is no place for small boats much less the 1000+ oil rigs you have to fight. Oh did I forget the ship traffic. I've done part of the La. and Texas ICW and have found it very interesting.

We are in know hurry to get any place. Plan on enjoying the US coast. So much to see. We don't need to go to some other country to enjoy sailing. Right now the water here is crystal clear and a beautiful green.

Last edited by Lostmt; 02-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook