SailNet Community - View Single Post - 316 Stainless Bolts
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I suspect you're over thinking this. I have yet to see a builder who uses 316SS fasteners exclusively.

Morris uses/used (when I have been there) 18/8 fasteners by StaFast and they get them from: Standard Fasteneings in New Bedford, MA..

I have yet to see a box of 316 when I have been at the factory but I am going to guess they use them for some fittings.. Morris customers are pretty picky..... 18/8 good enough for a Morris.......

I have almost always used 18/8 but on occasion, where strength is not as important, I will use 316. I get all my fasteners from KL Jack a nut and bolt wholesaler in Maine.. Never had a corrosion or rusting issue.
You could be right. But I have had 316 bolts fail on cleats due to what appeared to be crevice corrosion. Looks like you are located in Maine- a cool and rainy environment which stainless likes as opposed to a high relatively dry, with salt laden air tropical environment. I note that riggers specify 316 ss cable for tropics when 304 is ok for non tropical areas.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome