SailNet Community - View Single Post - 316 Stainless Bolts
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I suspect you're over thinking this. I have yet to see a builder who uses 316SS fasteners exclusively.

Morris uses/used (when I have been there) 18/8 fasteners by StaFast and they get them from: Standard Fasteneings in New Bedford, MA..

I have yet to see a box of 316 when I have been at the factory but I am going to guess they use them for some fittings.. Morris customers are pretty picky..... 18/8 good enough for a Morris.......

I have almost always used 18/8 but on occasion, where strength is not as important, I will use 316. I get all my fasteners from KL Jack a nut and bolt wholesaler in Maine.. Never had a corrosion or rusting issue.
You could be right. But I have had 316 bolts fail on cleats due to what appeared to be crevice corrosion. Looks like you are located in Maine- a cool and rainy environment which stainless likes as opposed to a high relatively dry, with salt laden air tropical environment. I note that riggers specify 316 ss cable for tropics when 304 is ok for non tropical areas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook