SailNet Community - View Single Post - 316 Stainless Bolts
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
I have been upgrading and replacing all mast and chainplate hardware with 316 ss. I have been buying from B&S Bolt in Norfolk, Va. They have a very very wide selection. I believe they supply many military and local shipyards in the area. The great thing is they will sell it by individual piece. One other thing to remember is quatilty. Everything they carry is mil-spec. They warned me about buying fasteners from other "chain" places as you will not get the same grade quality( check with a magnet). They are resonably priced too. i have purchased(all 316) 30-7/16"x2 1/2" bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts, 100 ss 3/16 rivets, 2 -1/2"X5" bolts with washers and nylon locking nuts and few other misc pieces for my mast step. all of it was around $110. with tax.

One word of caution, you probably know, lubricate the threads...I am using tef-gel.

yes i could have used 304 or 18/8 for about 25-30% less but i figured why not. I did not want to take a chance. especially if i have to remove the corroded hardware in 10-15 years, i would be cursing myself for being cheap!

Last edited by Cruiser2B; 02-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook