SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coastal crusing with occassional passage making :)
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch
Big boat little boat :(

Hiee,

It seems as though many replies here have been from those with larger boats. While I do value what you have to say, there always seems to be a bias towards anyone planning to sail a route in a smaller boat.

I did grow up in the sunshine state and have spent many hours out in the atlantic and the gulf and am quite aware of the types of weather and how fast they can come about. As I mentioned in my opening of this thread, we will be spending at least a year doing shake down cruising off the coast of Nova Scotia with eventual cruises into and accross the Gulf of Maine, which can be nasty on it own accord ie weather and currents.

While our main water tankage is only 20 gallons we will also be carrying additional water in jugs and adding 10 gallons or so that way. This water is solely for drinking cooking etc as sea water is more then suitable for washing as well as the MSD flushing etc.

We will not be on any formal time schedule to arrive here or there at a particular time and so our head way concerns will be dictated by our stores on board. While we don't particularly enjoy a rough ride we are prepared to deal with it given the size of our boat.

I thought I had mentioned that we have a 2 burner propane stove on board. Anchoring will be via 2 danforths with 100 feet of line and 20 feet of chain on one and 200 feet of line and 20 feet of chain on the other. I have yet to decide about carrying a sea anchor.
Our outboard long shaft at 7 1/2 hp is more then ample to propel our boat even in heavy weather, although that will be tested in the coming shake down cruises.

c_witch
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook