SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coastal crusing with occassional passage making :)
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Experienced sailors do unless they travel outside the Gulf Stream in the Hatterass area no m,atter what sized boat.
Well, not me. I cross the Gulf Stream as early as possible if I'm heading to the Bahamas or Caribbean. Heading to Florida I stay closer to Diamond Shoals. Regardless, you need to watch the weather forecasts and you have to know what you are looking at and what it means. Read that twice. *grin*

I've run around the shoals in both directions more times than I can count. The weather can be ugly but more often than not it is fine. The key is watching the forecasts.

Most of my deliveries are on boats bigger than yours which is a factor. I used to have a Catalina Capri 22 and spent some time cruising a Catalina 22 pop-top. You can do it, but you have to account for very slow passages and lots of boat motion. It isn't pretty. I wouldn't do it, but I would have when I was young.

Southbound on your boat stay the heck out of the Gulf Stream or you won't make any progress at all.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook