SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012

Jeaux-Jeaux is on a distinguished road
Wolfenzee,

I think that there are 2 sides to our culture. The people that get things done by doing it, and the people who pay to get things done. I happen to be one of those people who get things done by doing something myself. I would bet that most of the people in this forum are self reliant people, they have to be in order to be sucessfull at owning, operating, going places, and in some cases living on there sailboats. I glad to hear that you were raised to be self reliant, that was not the case with me, I just somehow turned out that way. I don't think it was by design from my parents, it just happened, and I like that way. I am trying to raise my son to be like me in that respect. Allthough I will have to admit, sometimes I feel like it's a curse because people are always wanting you to do things from them and taking away from the things you need to get done for yourself. But then there is also always the times when it would be better to pay someone to do something for you, but you can't bring yourself to do it, because of the way you are. Catch 22 being self reliant and handy. Yes current culture is as you say, but I believe it is changing back to the way it was when people did things for themself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook