SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just wondering
Thread: Just wondering
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 02-10-2012
NCC320

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
One thought is that getting pooped is more "lethal" on a sugarscoop / swim platform.
Why is getting pooped with a sugarscoop stern more lethal? It seems that pooping comes in two parts...first the impact which might break things or sweep people overboard, followed by the second, which is the need to clear the water off the boat before the next wave hits. The open sugarscoop stern will clear the water much faster than a pair of cockpit drains. (On my 19 ft. fishing boat, I had a situation where combination of waves and big wake kicked up by a big power cruiser flooded the boat and the two cockpit drains, about the same size as those on most sailboats took quite a time in removing the water that was collected.) And most people don't realize, but it doesn't take much water above the deck in the cockpit area to begin to affect stability, so you want to clear it quickly. So far as being washed overboard, this is more a issue for tethers and harnesses. And things breaking would be a function of how strong/rugged the boat build is.

What am I missing?
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome