SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help I feel out of my depth
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
If rwilson is legit and sticks with sailing, I hope he sticks around and contributes. The OP story was out there a bit and I hope he recognizes that posting while drinking will usually get one in trouble. Who here hasn't made that mistake? Brush it off.

However, troll or not, come to a sailing forum and ask about buying a power boat and you should expect some flack. No?

I mean anyone that prefers a powerboat must be an uneducated, unattractive, sickly, unsociable, poor mannered, alcoholic.......... troll. Thats the standard line we all practice on day one at sailing school. Whether anyone means it or not is in the eye of the beholder.

For more practical input, a half million dollar boat can take more than a $300k salary to keep. It depends on your circumstances, but be realistic. Costs go up much faster than boat length. If I didn't do a fair amount of work on ours, we wouldn't be able to afford her. We all kid about boat bucks, but everything on a 50 footer is breathtaking.

I agree that a few sailing vacations on both cats and big monos might help you both settle on a direction and get more experience. Jumping from a 21 footer to a 50 footer is going to be another language.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook