SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flotilla sailing with Sunsail
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I've watched the Sunsail flotillas come into harbours in the afternoon and the chase boat usually gets there first, anchors, then uses 2 dinghies to help the boats either pick up mooring balls or anchor as they come in. That, I think, is one benefit for those charterers who don't have experience anchoring or in picking up mooring balls in conditions that can be a bit gusty. Apart from that you get a group travel effect, can meet and eat/drink/party with others in various harbours in the BVI.
If you are comfortable with picking up mooring balls and handling a sailboat then a flotilla might not be what you are looking for. Realistically, if one can't sail a boat then having an experienced skipper on some other boat within visual range isn't going to help with that aspect.
Navigation in the BVI is simple line-of-sight with relatively few dangers and trouble spots. The wind is almost always from the same direction and there are numerous anchorages available with services ashore (by services I mean restaurants and bars).
The courses you are planning on taking should be sufficient for the BVI and you might find that with the courses under your belt you'll have more experience than many if not most of the charterers. By the time you've finished the ASA classes you probably won't want to join a flotilla but would prefer to spread your own wings and discover the BVI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook