SailNet Community - View Single Post - Storm trysail question
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I have a rigid boomkicker also. I slide the traveler all the way to one side with some slack in the main sheet. I use a dock line to pull the boom as far to the opposite side as possible. Then I grind the main sheet in to hold the boom. Works a treat.

As far as loads are concerned the load that the block will see may be up to twice the sheet load depending on the angles in and out of the block.
That sounds like a good way to do it with boom down as low as possible and tsecured out of the way on one side or the other. I made a foldable boom arch to hold the boom up when not in use to eliminate any thrashing from side to side in a beam sea if motoring and to take the strain off the topping lift but getting it down seems like a better way when using the trysail. Aren't most trysails designed to be off the boom/outhaul and the traveller system? I have never even considered setting mine up on the boom.