SailNet Community - View Single Post - Storm trysail question
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Built for the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
I'm settling on parameters for having a trysail built. I am trying to follow the conservation here to make sure I get this right. The sail's foot is to be a foot shorter than the boom, allowing the clew to be hauled out to the boom end, which I envision being lashed to the gallows in the center notch (with the mainsheet hauled in tight to hold her down). The trysail plan is 24 percent of mainsail area with a tackle angle of 12 degrees so the sail clears the furled main. Don't expect to be trying to sail upwind with this setup, but just taking the point of sail to avoid lee hazards or the danger semicircle of a storm while hove to to make a slick to sit in while battened down. Am I getting this about right? Thanks for any comments...
I think how it is done varies from boat to boat. For example, most of the boats I have seen out cruising - crossing the South Pacific do not have a boom gallows and most, or at least a great many, have a rigid vang so you really cannot drop the boom to the deck in the traditional way. With the rigid vang, the mainsheet and a preventer in the opposite direction from the mainsheet I think the boom will be pretty stable. We have done this in 55 knots but the waves were not huge in the 15-20' range.

A trysail that is 24% of main seems a bit large to me, but I have inmast furling so it is quite easy to make my main this small or smaller, although it takes the center of effort quite far forward, which might be a good thing for heaving to without a jib or with only a storm jib.