SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can Age Trump Design?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
Also, don't forget, when you're looking at double-enders, you're losing a lot of storage aft. Just for a few thoughts...Peterson 44, Cal 39. Also, here's a link that might prove helpful (at the end there is a list of boats)
http://www.mahina.com/cruise.html

I did some looking at the Peterson 44s lately online, and they are very attractive. They would be in the late 70s to early 80s range again, which might be fine. My first reaction was that a 44' boat would be more to handle and maintain, and my preference would be for something that both my wife and I could handle. I also get a little concerned about sails and parts costs as size increases.

The Mahina link is excellent, and I've been there several times. What's funny, though, is that I think most of us skip his paragraphs and go right to the boat list. If you read his paragraphs about why one might select a new production boat, John's tone is almost disdainful of the idea that "buying used is the only way to go." He points out several drawbacks, including resale and expensive ongoing repairs, that I've been thinking of. In terms of time and money, he suggests that there's a false economy to buying an older boat. He also acknowledges "real shortage of quality ocean-cruising boats in the 3-10 year old range" that I've been trying to quantify with Yachtworld searches.

In Daniel Spurr's book, "Your First Sailboat..." he actually graphs out the optimum used boat (in terms of post depreciation, but decent sails, rigging and engine), and his chart shows boats in the 4-8 year old range of being worthwhile. For a year I've stared at this chart and wondered what he was talking about, because in my searches I'd be lucky to see a 1982 boat (24 years old). Some of the 1970s boats I've seen have been completely original, with pretty much zero upgrades since they were new. It also seems that most of the boats discussed here and on the older boards are normally older.

Anyway, an older boat may still be the way to go, but I'm going to try and refocus and be open-minded for awhile about newer boats as well-- at least to know what is there and not there, and how much it would cost. A Pacific Seacraft 34 might be tight, for example, but new they list for about $212,000 (sans sails, etc.) and a 2000 model might show up for around $175,000 asking price. A 2001 Island Packet 350 would be in a similar price range.

So, forgive me for thinking aloud. Basically, I'm working on learning more about cruising boats that are newer than six years old, just to decide for myself about the "economy" of older vs. newer.

If John Neal is correct, for example, having more money in the boat may not be too risky if more of it could be recovered at resale. I don't like "paying for a name," but it can have benefits when it's time to sell.

Thanks again,

Jim H

Last edited by Jim H; 09-26-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook