SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can Age Trump Design?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Despite the disparagers...I like the IP38 and think it would be a reasonable choice for you...certainly built well enough to head down the coast and beyond. I DON'T like the Valiant or PS or Tayana37 in your situation as I think you give up too much room to the canoe stern...though they are all fine boats for a couple. Check out the Peterson44 or the Whitby & Brewer 42 unless you really don't like CC boats..The Caliber 40 would be an excellent choice but is about double your price range.
Camaraderie,

Great comments. I think you're right on the mark about most of the boats listed. Tayana 37s are out for us, and both the Valiants and PS series may have space issues as you noted.

I read and really enjoyed the recent thread about Whitby and Brewer 42s and 12.8s, but the Whitby sounds like it might be a bit rough and I'd still like to avoid a centerboard boat. Also, I've been on a couple of CC boats recently and my preference still leans toward an aft cockpit-- I don't see us using the aft cabin for daytime lounging, but the main cabin appears shortened because of the cockpit and aft cabin.

The Caliber 40 LRC is a boat I know almost nothing about (since they weren't popular in 1978), but I'm looking into. I noticed that a 2001-2002 models appear in the $230-250k range, which might be financially impossible but still worth a review. Sometimes I can work out interesting solutions to problems... (othertimes, complete failure!).

Jim H
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook