SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are there any other "shoestring" sailors ?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The first step is living on the hook. Secondly, everything is paid for. My only monthly bills are insurance (health and life) and cell/internet. This uses up about half of a small allotment I get and are autopay. All else is paid on an as purchased basis. I sank as much money as possible into the boat upfront, so as to reduce ongoing maintaince costs. Things such as replacing the mainsail, rather repairing an old one. New windlass instead of repairing old. Anything marginal, I replaced, rather than repaired or refurbished.

I have a very small "wants and needs" list. I'm used to living frugally, and while I enjoy the company of others, can be by myself easily. I also determined that coastal cruising was what I would realistically do, so bought a boat accordingly. I don't need to stock up on lots of spares and provisions. I carry things like filters, belts, impellers, etc. but don't worry about a lot of other extras that aren't necessary for getting to the next port. I also carry about a 2 week supply of food, as well as some quanities of staples.

I didn't eat out or party much before moving aboard, so I'm not really doing without anything I'm used to doing. Also, being retired, I have no timetable, so can come and go as I choose.

Part of the budget is an overnight in a marina once every 7-14 days, depending on supplies, fuel, and laundry. I've made myself as self-sufficent as possible within what I had to spend, so as to minimize expenses.

I also have part of my retirement money left as a backup for major repairs, though I do have a small maintaince budget. I should also note that Social Security kicks in in 5 years, and will basically double my available funds. I hope though to remain on the current budget and set the extra aside.

Things such as clothing, I had been buying for the past 3 years and have enough to last for quite some time. And since I plan to stay in warmer climes, swimming trunks are a staple of my wardrobe.

Hope that helps. I've never done a spreadsheet or anything on it, so I can't say I spend this much on this or that. Also, if necessary, I'll work for a while to build things up if I find myself running short. Though I don't think that will be necessary.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook