SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Those guys in the PNW sure like thier tall rigs... The thing that I can't figure out is why they were completely powered up. Were they trying to get thier boat to lay down for the camera? They certanly not looking for speed as stalling is really slow.
Tall rigs up here? Yeah. That's because with all the islands we sail in and around the wind WILL be from EVERY direction in one day. Once I was DDW playing with a used symmetrical spinnaker on my old boat. The wind died, then before I knew it it was from directly ahead. Turns out the wind was funneling around an island and I went from: wind behind, to lee of island, to wind around the other side (ie on my nose). Spent the evening hanging from the rigging disentangling my new "roller furling" spinnaker from my headstay.

The more weatherly the boat the more likely (around here) they won't need the motor. No big, unobstructed bay where the wind predictably comes from one direction daily like clock work. Of course, what do I know, I sail a full keeled ketch up here.

I agree they're a bit powered up. I would have had the traveler all the way to leward long ago. If they really needed to go to windward I would think a second reef in the main would be the way to go. Can't recall if they had a second reef in the main. I also agree with Smack, that a little tension on the jib sheet while furling would have saved some flogging. That would be harder than it seems though as the furling line would already be hard to bring in, and holding tension on the sheet might allow the sail to fill creating much more tension on the furling line and possibly breaking something as you winch it in. Mainly they just needed to execute the whole thing faster to save the sail from being flogged.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook