SailNet Community - View Single Post - First sailboat purchase
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjmin View Post
No offence to any of you. But I have as of yet ever met an honest sales person. And as the owner you are an opposing side. When I was shopping I only delt with one owner and that was a mistake because he thought his boat was made of pure gold. And he will keep that boat. Btw he had been trying to sell it for 3 years a local broker informed me. Enough said.

This is a buyers market. And I wanted to make sure the O.P. aware of this. Of course sellers don't want buyers to know this. When I was shopping all the boats I visited had been for sale between 2-6 years.

If you use a broker, the owner will not be there anyway. And the advice I gave keeps the broker from relaying to the owner anything positive after the showing. Which helps when you make a low offer.

Hate me if you want for telling the truth. But brokers informed me of lots of stuff when I was being quiet and not speaking. A boat for sale is a huge financial burden for the owner. They are having to pay slip fees, bottom scraping fees, insurance and property taxes every year. On top of regular maintaince this is money the owner will never see again. Not in this market.

Sailboats are sold for 2 main reasons.
- the owner is in financial trouble = needs money ASAP
- the owner wants a bigger boat = they want to buy said boat ASAP

Now go forth my fellow preowned boat buyers! Go forth and aquire your dream sailboat at record low prices!
Okay, now that I have taken some time and worked through my impulse to smack the stupid out of you (the impulse is still there but the logistics work in your favour. I'm not sure I could justify the months it would take.), I decided I'd try to show you the error of your ways, you know, from a salesperson's point of view.

Yeah, I'm a salesman. Not a sales engineer or and agent or a consultant or broker or whatever, although I have carried all of those titles in my career- I am a professional salesman.

And no one has ever accused me of being dishonest. Except you, of course.

You think your bs "harrumph -with -irritation- when -you- find- a- fault-the-first-guy-who-speaks-loses -this-is-war" tapdance either impresses or intimidates a broker?
He has seen it dozens of times before, and it is all just plain white noise now. He probably stopped listening to your performance after the first "well how much is this gonna cost?"

While you are doing your amateur surveyor routine, the professional broker is doing a professional survey of you. He saw what you are driving, he saw what you are wearing, he saw your shoes, he has asked you qualifying questions that you, boy-wonder, didn't even realize were qualifying questions.

Here's what you missed- the broker is the gatekeeper to the owner, and the deal. Every owner using a broker is using a broker because they don't want to deal with tire kickers, looky-loos, mutterers and amateur poker-players taking pictures with their iphone. The broker brings the offer, the owner evaluates the offer then asks the broker for his opinion.
What do you think the broker thinks of guys like you who learned all of their negotiating skills from re-runs of "Storage Wars"?
Yeah...
he tells the seller, "the guy is a tool, and he's lowballing. He thinks that drama over rust stains means a $10 000 reduction in price, because he told me so while he was impressing me with what a big baller he was and how much he knew about boats. he was also asking about financing and whether a 20% down was necessary, which tells me he's got a shaky FICA score and limited cash.

You know why those boats you've been looking at are still on the market after 2-6 years? Because the seller doesn't have to sell. Or the estate is handling the sale after the owner pased away and it is not a priority.
Emergency sales, hardship sales are the boats that sell in less than 90 days, because the seller NEEDS cash, and those deals are often made before the boat gets advertised on craigslist and yachtworld.

You're correct, it is a buyer's market. But not just any buyer. People often have a greater sentimental attachment to their boats than their homes, and care far more who their baby goes to.

Something to think about- often the seller has bought a bigger boat but stayed in the same marina, club or mooring field, and, if it is hard enough to see somebody on board your old pride and joy, it is even harder if the new owner is a dick. In fact, the old owner's impression of you may colour how everyone else in the place thinks of you. Remember that next time you need to borrow a screwdriver.

BTW, you do see the irony about trying to play charades with a broker, and then sneering that you have never met an "honest salesman"? Every salesman has never met an honest buyer. In fact, most buyers start lying the moment they open their mouths, even regarding simple purchases. When you walk into Old Navy for a new pair of skinny jeans and a sales person walks up to you and asks "may I help you?" Your answer is always a lie. What do the vast majority of shoppers say?
"I'm just looking."
BS- you walked into that store with a reason, a purpose, a particular item in mind.

Next time you deal with a salesperson, think about which one of you tells the first lie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook