SailNet Community - View Single Post - MOB drowning experience
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Well done, Graham.

Of course, we are likely to be in agreement, He is a local and I think we may have done our radio operators tickets at the same place (Sandringam Coast Guard, by any chance, Graham?).
I also think I recognise the name of your boat and may have seen it in my forays to Hastings.

As for seeing two boats collide, catch fire and begin sinking, as used in in earlier example, it is indeed a MAYDAY RELAY call. If you are hearing the stricken vessels call but cannot hear a response, then you can make the call on your more functional equipment...or just be proactive if you do not hear any radio traffic from the vessels and make the MAYDAY RELAY call on their behalf. If you hear radio traffic between the stricken vessels and a coast radio base, then the best thing you can do is shut up and leave the channel clear until they ask for other boats in the area who can render assistance. (Though I can think if a situation in which I would make a super quick call to announce that I was standing by close at hand and was willing to assist).

Sasha

P.S The time that the stern gland blew ou and I issued the Pan Pan call, The coast guard decided to relay to a water police vessel that was near at hand and they came along and shadowed us from about 50 meters away, ready to render assistance if our situation changed. So it is not that Pan calls are not taken seriously around these parts.

Last edited by Sasha_V; 09-26-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook