SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rocks in the SF Bay
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Just saw another report on the Cosco Busan incident. I-Team reveals exclusive audio recordings of Cosco Busan oil spill | abc7news.com
The Coast Guard officers that responded were looking for oil to the North of the ship (toward the Golden Gate and ocean). Since the accident occurred on a flood tide, the oil went South of the leaking ship. I mean, I know hindsight is 20/20, but if you are in the frigging Coast Guard, you should be able to figure out that the oil is going to go with the tide! So, the CG initially didn't even know fuel was leaking until well over an hour after the incident. Even then they estimated that only 150 gallons of fuel leaked. In fact the leak consisted of over 53,000 Gallons of bunker fuel!
The Pilot made $450,000 that year, didn't even know where the bridge was in his own bay, and simply chuckles every time he talks about hitting it (listen to the audio tapes)! In response, they bought the Pilots new laptop chart plotters (as if the two radars, GPS and a paper chart shouldn't have been enough for a Harbor Pilot to navigate with!). BTW...The ship owner paid a Ten Million Dollar Fine and Forty Four Million in clean up fees. Who pays that in the long run?
So...do I have faith that the powers that be are making the right choices regarding the rocks, or that pilots will avoid them? In a word....No!

Last edited by L124C; 02-14-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook