SailNet Community - View Single Post - Old Boats still Good Boats
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006

mvsunstar is on a distinguished road
Old Boats still Good Boats

I'm new to sailboats, having grown up on a variety of stink pots from wood to steel. I just put on offer in on a 1979 cooper 416. I will be having a survey done in a few weeks and already expect what the value of the boat will be - close to the yachtworld value or the broker book value.

I realize that a boat is not a good investment but rather a way of life and I'm fine with that. But still I'm a little apprehensive. I mean 1979 was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

I know a steel boat if properly maintained will last a lifetime. Likewise, a wooden boat, always a work in progress, if properly maintained can also last a lifetime.

But what about fiberglass. I hear about blisters, UV deterioration and hull weakening - but to what extent. If there are some blisters does that mean its the end of the world.

If I purchase a boat now and it surveys ok and its already 27 years old - will it last another 27 years if properly maintained or is there a reasonable limit to how long a fiberglass boat will hold together? And if there is a reasonable limit - then are boats that are 27 years old unreasonably priced by a longshot?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook