SailNet Community - View Single Post - Old Boats still Good Boats
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Hey, c'mon - some of us remember 1979 like it was yesterday!!

I think the longevity of well-kept fiberglass boats should be well beyond what you and I will need to worry about. Any boat can be neglected into oblivion, regardless of it's construction. I suppose in some ways fiberglass is a relatively "new" material without enough history to project it's lifetime.

Who knows? maybe after 75 years service some of us will go down to the dock to find a skim of white dust on the water where our boat once was!

Seriously, though, I think you need to look at the condition and original build quality more than the age.

As far as blistering goes, there are degrees of severity that dictate how big a deal they might be. Some are largely cosmetic, others can affect the integrity of the hull skin. I think it's more of an issue with below-the-waterline cored hulls than with solid skin hulls. There are other threads and actual experts on this board that can fully address your concerns on that score.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook