SailNet Community - View Single Post - Georgia Livaboards Org
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysailor View Post
The DNR has passed a new law on liveaboards in Georgia.

As of January 1, 2012, if you wish to stay aboard your boat in a marina with sewage pump out facilities for longer than 30 days, you may apply for an extension beyond the 30 days. The notice doesn’t seem to have any limit on the length of time you can stay aboard, just the regulations relating to the boat and also to the marina – you have to have a mechanism to secure your holding tank, the marina has to have adequate pump-out facilities, etc.

You can read more information at Georgia Liveaboards - Find the best marina to dock your boat
To me it sounds like there is way to much discretion for the commissioner. He does not have to give any permits out so I would consider this a possible improvement, but not a victory. Here are the offending portions:

Quote:
8. The applicant states the reasons for requesting the extension and the period of time for which the extension is requested.
9. The Commissioner, in his or her sole discretion, may grant or deny any request for an extension of time to occupy a live-aboard.
10. The Commissioner, in his or her sole discretion, may consider requests for extensions that do not meet this Rule if the applicant shows extraordinary and extenuating circumstances.
So he does not have to accept the "reasons" he also does not have to give a permit for any reason he desires. Seems like the commissioner has a lot of power over someones life, if they choose to live aboard in GA. Seems to be open to a lot of abuse. Glad I live in New York!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook