SailNet Community - View Single Post - Deck mounted versus keel mounted masts
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post

Not having tried to rig a makeshift mast on either types of boats, I'm not sure how it would work, but IF I had to I would start with using my cordless drill to drill holes in the base of whichever is longer, remains of mast, or boom, then attaching stainless screws to el brackets. With a keel stepped mast assuming you still have a cabin top, the mast will remain upright while you rig shrouds, but you will have a large hole left from the diameter change of original mast to makeshift mast.

With a deck stepped mast you would prerig shrouds first, then screw el-brackets to old plate on deck leaving your boat in original configuration with a shorter mast.

I my opinion is lashing a mast fragment to a stub of a mast would be an excercise in futility, try lashing two sticks together and then put a side load on them.

Generally speaking a keel stepped mast might be less vulnerable to dismasting, but a deck stepped mast would be easier to repair at sea, in both cases raising a mast in a rolling sea in a single masted vessel is going to be problematic.

I would say even in calm seas raising a mast of any size would be not only impossible, but extremely dangerous.

It may not be very seaman like for me, but if dismasted, and engine failed I would call for help, if dismasted and engine working, (or fixable), I would motor to nearest landmass.
here's how

IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook