SailNet Community - View Single Post - Munising
Thread: Munising
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012

shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Munising

It's still winter... so... has anyone else been to Munising Michigan on the South Shore of Lake Superior? I took my trailersailer up there a few years ago and anchored for a week on the south end of Grand Island with four friends. We exiled the two vegetarians to the beach and the rest of us slept on the 22 footer.

Every day we would sneak out of our little anchorage and go on a little run. The run to down the coast to the Pictured Rocks Natioanl Lakeshore is absolutely beautiful. Crystal clear water, beautiful beaches, amazing rock formations. One warning - the shore is unprotected tends to be leeward in bad weather so you need to keep looking over your shoulder to the northwest and the weather radio so you an get to cover quick if you are in a small boat.

On one trip down the coast we we about ten miles down the coast when we heard a severe weather warning on the weather radio. A huge wall cloud met us as we entered the protected bay. The crew thought it was real "exciting" - even though I just took down all the sails and motored in.

The harbor master in Munising was a friendly chap who lived aboard in the little harbor of refuge. We moored there a couple of nights and took in the Munising sites. Jerry Powlas and Karen Larson from Goold Old Boat came through while we were there. I was a database consultant for them when they were starting up the magazine and knew first hand how hard they worked. It was great to see them finally taking a long break for their much anticipated circumnavigation of Lake Superior on their C&C (a 30, I think).

In Munising I picked up a home made book about a guy from Munusing who circumnavigated Lake Superior in a Hobie. It's a cool read. Whenever the weather got too hairy they just beached the cat and hunkered down.

It was a fun trip for a trailer-sailer and I recommend it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook