SailNet Community - View Single Post - book on hull design/theory
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunson2
We went out on the 23rd on the Chesapeake Bay (my brother has a Bayfield 25). 20 knot winds, with 25 knot gusts and 3-6ft swells (seemed like higher at times! ). Rough, rough, rough...We, acknowledging our inexperience, went back in. 'Bout an hour out. I had a blast despite conditions (which, admittedly, were a little hairy for such a small boat). Loved that spray!
Excuse my off topic too….
On Sunday the 24th, we purposely went out on the Elk Neck River with our Capri 14. NOAA posted the small craft warnings and it was about 10 to 20 knots. We reefed before we headed out. We sailed from the State Park ramp to all the way to entrance of C&D canal and having a great time. By 3 O’clock the sun was peeking through, but the wind died, < 5 knots. So we de-reefed our sail, Capri came alive again.

All sudden, a gust came from nowhere and almost flapped our boat. Both my son and I franticly tried to stabilize the boat but I guess we overdid it. The boat was saved but I went over board. It took my son awhile to get everything squared away on the boat. He told me later that sheets were everywhere. He also is not as good helmsman as I thought, because I was always at the helm and he handled the main and jib. By the time I got back on the boat 25 minutes later, the sky was so dark and wind pickup from the south. It was pouring like hell and not a single boat was in sight.

I looked at my son and said “Oh, sh*t”. We were about 1.5 nm from the dock and there was no way we could make it back safety. Not knowing how long the storm would last. I told myself to drop the main and sailed with the jib. At that time we were just about ˝ mile from the south shore of the mouth of Bohemia River. Under controlled, we beached and then we made it to a private dock. Luckily, the home owners were very nice and let us to dock our boat there. This weekend we have to get the boat back.

Well, it was fun and definitely a good learning experience that we were looking for. Many things we have learned from this and will be implementing it the next time we go out.

Sorry for the off topic.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook