SailNet Community - View Single Post - E32 anchor locker mod
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
E32 anchor locker mod

I have been thinking of doing a mod to my anchor locker. My boat is a '79 E32, with a shallow "tray" under the anchor locker lid. There is a fitting forward of the locker from which to deploy the rode. My 50 ft of chain, and a smaller danforth live in this "tray." My larger danforth is lashed to the pulpit rails. A secondary rode lives elsewhere.

The mod I am contemplating is simply sawing out the floor of the "tray", and having access to the whole locker from above. This would mean I would have to build a little grate floor for the locker and drill a couple of drain holes in the hull below it. I would also fashion a door to the locker to close it off from the V berth (this I plan to do anyhow, as I kind of think the locker is a spider festival - yech). If I had this whole locker accessible, I could then store both anchors within, as well as chain and both rodes. I thought that also in the future I could glass in a mount for a windlass inside the locker.

The only tricky bit is figuring out what to do with the 1-1/2 water pipe that is inside the locker that runs from the deck fitting to the water tank. A minor issue.

Anybody done this? Any reasons I shouldn't give it a whirl?