SailNet Community - View Single Post - Have over 7 Days Food Aboard?
View Single Post
post #84 of Old 02-17-2012
JimMcGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I'll buy that, but not everyone stocking up is a left coaster.

I'm curious why people have made that decision. Not throwing stones. Curious.
I live near Annapolis and I keep a store of food on hand. Like I said, cases of MRE's and jugs of water. Why?

Hurricane Isabel ring any bells? The hurricane last summer (I forget the name) killed power for everyone around me for nearly 2 weeks.

I'm on a well, so if I lose power, I have no electricity to pump the water. No electric stove either. I have the boat's alcohol stove and a propane and charcoal grill for cooking. Grocery stores cleaned out, etc.

FEMA advises having a few days of canned foods and jugged water stored in your house. It seems like common sense. I can't understand why preparedness seems to baffle you.
I'm not baffled at all, just curious. But you seem to have misunderstood my question.

I think most people have a reasonable supply of food and emergency supplies in their home -- and if I were you I'd have a generator and a supply of stabilized gas for that well.

My question has nothing to do with what you have at home, it's this. If you're not doing a long term cruise why stockpile several months worth of food on board your boat?

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome