SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailor Training
Thread: Sailor Training
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
I do 2 kinds of sailing:

1. Relaxing chill out sailing - I just get out, set sail and sit back to enjoy. Tack when I need to but try to trim up and sit back as much as possible.

2. Training - I go out and try stuff. Different trims, main only, jib only, heave to, MOB drills, stopping, starting, slow speed, pinching; you name it I go out and try what I've read about until I can do it in a repeatable and fluid manner. I even sabotage myself by releasing lines, sheets, whatever I can think of to see how I react and recover. I'm sure people are watching me and wondering what the hell is this guy doing.

Depends on my mood and what I want to accomplish that day....also how many people are also out on the lake. I tend to keep training days to the times I'm one of the only ones out there.

From what you post, sounds like you're well on your way to your goals. The extra classes you're looking at will serve you well, and then just go out in your boat and do the things you're learning about. For something new, see if you can go out with an experienced sailor on his/her boat as crew in exchange for being taught. (bring a gift, like a bottle of booze) I'm waiting for a buddy to get his boat ready because it's rigged for a chute and I've never personally flown a spinnaker....

You'll be just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook