SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How to modify the Icom 700 for Pactor

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SVAuspicious 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to modify the old Icom 700 SSB radio for the input and output connections for Pactor ?I know I need audio in and out as well as keying but Im unsure as to which section of the radio is best for the taps.Thanks All

#2 ·
from the SailMail site:

Icom M700

This is Icom's original HF marine radio. This radio has a number of disadvantages for use with digital communications.

There is no accessory jack with the necessary AF input, AF output, and PTT signals. The addition of an accessory jack will require you to have a radio technician modify the radio. Most radio technicians will (sensibly) refuse to do this modification because they feel that it is pointless to work on such an old radio. If you do decide to get the modifications done be sure to get the price quoted in advance, and then reconsider just replacing the radio.

Once modified, the M700 still is not ideal. It is only capable of about 50 watts continuous output.

I am a licensed tech and I would be very leery of modifying a type certified radio without the manufacturer's blessing.

#3 ·
If I remember correctly the M700 had a telephone style handset as an option. That means everything you need is at the microphone jack. If you can track down a spare connector you build a cable for you modem and swap back and forth. The downside is setting the volume at the right level every time.

#4 ·
Yes, Dave is correct: the M700 was designed with a handset option, so there's audio at the mic connection.

Here are the pinouts:

1. AF Audio from main board
2. PTT PTT pin. Transmits when shorted to Pin 3
3. PTTE Ground pin for the PTT
4. MIC Ground Pin
5. MIC MIC Pin
6. NC
7. AF Connected to the built-in speaker. When the speaker switch is turned on while pins 1 and 7 are shorted, the built-in speaker is used

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.